Tuesday, October 15, 2013

SOMETHINGS JUST NOT RIGHT

    I can honestly say 2013 has not been my best year.  I have been through so much that I can't remember all that happened. I have to refer back to Facebook posts of what was going on and go from there to tell my story of what happened next.

I was so excited to be leaving India on April 14th and the thought of finally having my kids in my arms in my arms again. It had been the first time I had every really been away from them (one or 2 nights with their dad doesn't count in my eyes and that was even few and far between) and even more so it was the first time James and I had been apart for more than 12 hours in 11 years. So it was a big thing for all of us. 

APRIL 14th 2013
We left the hospital with smiles on our faces and butterflies in our bellies. We had 20 hours till we arrived home but we were ready. Our hospital rep dropped us off in front of the airport and left. Thank goodness someone there understood us and directed us on where to go to check in with a tip of course. I was feeling a bit quizzy so the airport staff had me wheeled around in a wheelchair. I was pretty much o.k. till we got to security. The security lady was not nice at all and she wanted to know why I was holding my side. I tried to explain to her that I had just had surgery and that I was in pain and then she jobbed my incision with her metal detector. When I cringed in pain she made my lift my shirt to show her what was there and had me pull the bandage to the side. I had never felt so violated and helpless. After going through all that she wasn't done then I had to dig through my bag to show her my medical flight clearance papers so that I could board the plane.


From security I was wheeled to the lounge to wait for time to board. From the moment I got poked I because extremely nauseous and very faint feeling. Once on the plane I figured I would try to sleep the whole flight and wake in Germany feeling better. WRONG... The sick feeling never left it actually got worse. I had to keep running to the bathroom to be sick. I couldn't hold any water down, the flight had not clear liquid diet. By the time we got to Germany I was so weak I felt like fainting. No one ever came with a wheelchair so Jennifer helped me walk from on end of the airport to the other to find our lounge so that she could get me a wheelchair. I don't know what I would have done without her. She was such a blessing to have with me. I continued trying to drink but it came up as soon as it went down. I ended up paying $22 american money for a bowl of chicken soup hoping the broth would help sooth my stomach or at least give me the feeling that I had something in it. I was able to get 3 spoonfuls down but like the water it didn't stay. We had a six hour layover this time and it seemed to take days.

My first $22 bowl of soup. to bad I couldn't enjoy it
   We boarded our final flight to go home. By the time the plane took off I had gotten so weak that I couldn't even get up to go to the restroom. I used the sick bags and just rolled to one side whenever I got sick (thank goodness I had a window seat). I prayed the whole flight that god would let me live till I got home. I honestly thought I was not going to make it home alive. I cried to myself trying to hide so that others couldn't see me. Jennifer did her best to help but there was nothing she could do. All I wanted was the feeling to go away and to hold my kids and tell them that I loved them. We finally made it to Charlotte and I was so weak and sick that I couldn't even express how happy I was.


APRIL 15th 2013
After getting our bags and going through security for the last time Jennifer wheeled me to where my Husband was waiting. Just seeing the huge smile on his face made me cry even more. But his smile faded very fast and his expression turned to fear.


He told me right off that I looked very unhealthy and that I needed to go to the hospital but being the stubborn girl that I am I refused. I wanted to go home and see my kids. I tried still to hydrate on the hour long ride home and as before nothing was working. I didn't get the give the big hugs and hear all the "welcome home" shouts live I had envisioned  instead I was welcomed with expressions of fear and concern on my family's faces at seeing the shape I was in. I told my husband that I was just dehydrated and jet lagged and that after a good nights sleep in my own bed I would be good as new in the morning.


Just like the few times before I was wrong. I slept maybe an hour and was up in so much pain. (oh yeah I failed to mention that the doctor had sent me home with absolutely NOTHING for pain) I went in the living room to sit on the couch so that I wouldn't wake James and worry him. Nothing I tried would stay down.

FACEBOOK POSTS

April 18th 2013

*For those who don't already know. Hubby had to rush me to the ER yesterday. Got very sick during our plane ride home that wouldn't get any better. Doc says I've developed a blockage. Was admitted to room 607. Possible emergency surgery today.


*Spoke to soon. Was just informed surgery scheduled for 12:30 this afternoon.


APRIL 20th 3013 {James's Update}
Checking in for my wife. She is at Catawba ICU Room 511. Don't know when she will be moving. Had to rush her to the ER the day after she got off the plane. Thought she was dehydrated and needed iv fluids. It took 2 surgeons and emergency surgery. She is getting better every day and will have a feeding tube for a few months. The kids can keep everyone updated. ICU 511 and will be moved to 607 when she gets out ICU.

APRIL 21st 2013
It's summer here, finally. I, m not 100% on what happened to me. I can only tell what I know. I had a wonderful trip to India. Was doing ok with little nausea here and there. I was up walking and feeling fine the day we were to leave. I had even done an interview with The Wallstreet Journal. At the airport in India I started feeling queasy it didn't help matters when then the lady with the metal detector jobbed it into my wound and when i cringed she demanded to see it and my authorization papers to board the flight. I must figured I needed to up my water intake most of all. which I did. Although I had been told by the hospital there would be a special diet for me (since I was on a clear liquid diet only) I shortly found out flights DO NOT have any liquid diets period. I tried to keep as much water as I could in me during that 8hr flight. By the time we reached Germany I felt like I could have
blacked out and went to the lounge to relax. I found a little bistro in Germany and bought a cup of soup in hopes that would somewhat tide me over till hit Charlotte 11 hours later. Although my $22 bowl of soup amazing it was still not I needed. I gave it a true girl scout try. The entire trip back consisted of my rolling over and over trying to get comfortable whilst attempting to hydrate and not vomit. All was done in vain. I threw up 
The entire 11 hrs home and again on the ride in the back of Alex's truck. When James first saw me he wanted to take me to the ER but I told him I was needed some good ice cold water, a bed, and to get rid of this jet lag. I spend a very painful sleepless night. No water, not even protein shakes would stay down. I finally gave in and let him take me to the ER. After 3 bottles of iv fluids dehydration was ruled out and I was admitted into the hospital. That morning by noon I was being wheeled back into surgery and am now on my way to wonderful recovery. As to what happened I'm still kinda in the dark on the. The surgeon's (yes it took 3 surgeons) to fix what happened. I HAVE TO THANK GOD I'M STILL ALIVE AND THE CARING HUSBAND WHO WASN'T GONNA TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER... Happy to say I am out of ICU as of a couple hours ago and I'm now in room 619




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, questions, or concerns. All kind responses are greatly appreciated.... Summer :)