Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It's a sc"HAIRY" situation

Talking about hair loss!
Before surgery
Being someone that has always been crazy about my hair it was a known fact that the thought of loosing my hair after surgery scared the bu-gee-sus out of me. Before surgery I had super thick hair that really made any cosmetologist earn their money whenever I had it cut. I had been told that some hair loss may occur but was never told to what extent because just like with the rate of weight you loose is different so is the hair loss. The thought of possibly loosing my hair was almost a reason for my to back out. But I went ahead with it :)


The body is a well-tuned machine. However, as we get older and our lifestyle patterns change, that delicate balance can be thrown off. This can result in overeating, under exercising and other behaviors that are not optimal for good health in adulthood. Bariatric surgery aims to rebalance the body, at least with regard to caloric intake and weight. It does so by restricting the number of calories that can be consumed or absorbed into the body.

In the case of an obese bariatric patient, the body will be used to consuming far more than it needs. This means that after bariatric surgery patients will be “depriving” their bodies of half or more of their usual caloric intake. The result is a shock to the body as it struggles to regain its caloric equilibrium with the new healthier lifestyle. This shock may, in turn, cause temporary hair loss and nutrients and vitamins are routed to other parts of the body.

The trauma of surgical procedure itself can also contribute to hair loss. Surgery in and of itself causes a temporary disturbance to the body which may also cause hair loss. Every person’s body reacts to traumatic effects in different ways, making causes difficult to pinpoint and prevention virtually impossible.

It is also important to remember that there are other reasons for hair loss that should be considered along with typical post-surgical issues.
Stress can cause hair loss as it affects many of the body’s normal functions. This can be heightened by obesity. One of the lifestyle changes on which a patient needs to focus includes stress reduction. Lowering stress levels may prevent some hair loss or thinning.
Genetic baldness, known as pattern baldness, can also be a contributing factor at virtually any age in adulthood. Patients should learn more by speaking to their physician.

No matter what the cause of hair loss, it can be very stressful to see hair falling out. Patients should be mindful that up to 50% of those who undergo weight loss surgery may lose some hair. It is often a temporary issue.

Patients concerned about hair loss should speak to their physician or surgeon to learn about the possible causes.

First of all, everyone loses hair every day as part of the natural cycle of hair growth.

But after weight loss surgery, our bodies are forced to live on drastically lower amounts of calories. To compensate for the reduction, all the remaining nutrients are channeled to the organs that need them most. And our hair isn't one of them.

So suddenly, our hair must do without the nutrients it needs to grow. And it also has to compensate for that loss. It sends more strands into “resting” phases and temporarily suspends production of new strands.

Not to mention the fact that hormones go haywire after surgery and while all that fat is being metabolized. That just doesn't help matters.

The upshot: hair starts falling out.

Be Aware!!
Shedding hair 3 to 5 months after weight-loss surgery is a relatively common occurrence that happens from losing weight rapidly, not getting enough protein, and the general stress your body goes through from surgery. Other less common reasons for post-surgery hair loss might be a lack of important dietary nutrients such as zinc, biotin, potassium, vitamin B6, or phosphorus. 

A deficiency of these nutrients can damage the hair root, thus making follicles unsalvageable. Lack of protein in your diet, will cause the hair to break off as it grows through the scalp. 

Ensuring your post-surgery diet is rich in protein and the appropriate vitamins and minerals can help lessen the severity of hair loss, or even prevent it. Here are some tips to make sure you’re consuming the right nutrients to protect your hair.

My experience with Hair loss:
While in the hospital I didn't notice any hair loss but the nurses kept reassuring me that since my hair was so thick it wouldn't be noticeable. After I got home and as I got more mobile I chose to keep my hair in a ponytail so that it would be out of my way. It didn't take long before I noticed that my hair was coming out by the handfuls when I brushed it.




















It was even worse after getting out of the shower
I honestly got to where I didn't even want to brush my hair. One day my husband noticed a bald spot on my head
This is not the actual picture of my head but it's somewhat what it looked like. I thought I was going to have a panic attack when he took a picture of it and showed it to me. I know I cried. I started looking up hair loss after weight loss surgery and started following others personal experiences and read that wearing a pony tail can put tension on you hair and can actually pull it out. So from that day on needless to say I never put another hair tie in my hair. I bought hair berets.
These things were a life saver. Not only did they cover up the bald spot but it also kept my hair out of my face and it didn't pull tension.

My thinned out hair

How to minimize hair loss
Nothing will keep you from losing any hair at all. Even without weight loss surgery, you lose a certain number of hairs every day. Afterwards, you’re going to lose more. It cannot be prevented.

But there are things you can do that seem to help. First off, be sure you’re getting all of your protein. My doctor recommended 60 grams or more a day. I’ve found 80 to be a better number, both for weight loss and for my hair. (Many other doctors recommend 80 as a minimum.)

Hair is built with protein. That’s what it’s made of. So making sure you’re taking in enough protein will help keep your hair healthy. At least, healthier.

1). Make sure you get in the necessary dietary protein every day. That is 60 grams daily for women and 80 grams for men.

2). Take at least 3 mg (3000 mcg) of Biotin each day and start it long before your operation. In fact I recommend you start it as soon as you start thinking you want to have bariatric surgery. This was recommended to our patients by a dermatologist that is a friend of mine. Biotin is an over the counter vitamin that strengthens your nails and hair. You may know people that take biotin just to make their hair thicker.

3). Finally, if your hair loss is bothersome to you consider a naloxone scalp treatment at your hair dressers or a local spa. This is supposed to rejuvenate the scalp.

The two most effective supplements for hair regrowth (at least according to the buzz on WLS forums and message boards) are Silica by Puritans Pride and Biotin.

The two most effective supplements for hair regrowth (at least according to the buzz on WLS forums and message boards) are Silica by Puritans Pride and Biotin.

The bottom line is that you’re going to lose some hair after gastric bypass surgery. But you really can minimize that loss, and help regrowth happen faster by taking good care of your hair.

Personally I started taking Biotin about 2 months before my surgery and still continue to take it today. I have read in some blogs that some women have experienced unwanted hair growth (facial hair) from taking biotin but in my experience I have not. I also started using OrganiX Biotin and Collagen shampoo and conditioner ( I buy mine at Walgreens). I did have my hair cut but refuse to have it cut short. At the beginning when my hair loss was worse than it is now I only washed my hair once a week. My hair loss has finally started to slow so I wash it more. The shampoo and biotin supplement DOES NOT STOP HAIR LOSS it helps with regrowth. 
It's growing back!!! :)
Now that my hair is growing back I can see little patches that are shorter than my hair ( right over my left ear). I don't mind it I'm just happy it is growing back.

Summer in ONEDERLAND
Come join my facebook page for my blog, keep up with my posts, shared recipes, exercises, and information tid bits.



2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thank you so much for sharing this.I have learnt such a lot.
    I am very new to blogging and come to your site from the twitter blog hop.
    I love your blog and am following you in all ways that I can.
    I hope that you have a fantastic day.
    Love and best wishes.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair is looking very nice and you can not tell anymore. So glad you are doing better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, questions, or concerns. All kind responses are greatly appreciated.... Summer :)